Monday 23 September 2013

How To - Home Furnishings DIY style

I wanted to have some original, quirky pieces for my room and what's a better way to get something 100% original than to make it yourself!? 
I made my very own candle holders and a flower/bottle/thingy (I have no name for it) 
This was super easy and it was fun! 

What you need:


  • Empty curry/jam jars/beer bottles
  • Ribbons, beads and fabric-I did this at no expense spared by using old tangled jewellery and hair pieces I had planned to throw away!
  • Scissors
  • Super-Glue


Candle Holders:

  • Simply soak any old curry/jam jars in warm water and washing up liquid to melt the glue and easily remove the stickers.
  • Rinse and make sure any excess glue or sticker is off the jar.
  • The fun part: Instead of throwing away old jewellery or hair pieces re-use them, cut it up, tear it apart to make funky designs for your candle holders!
  • (Left) For this jar I used an old lace head band I never wore (or planned to wear) to add lace to the top and bottom of the jar. For the middle I cut the beads off an old necklace and wound them round the jar. I then used the bigger beads of the necklace and glued them between the lace flowers on the top banner. This gave the jar an old victorian vintage look. (Right) My room has a lot o purple and orange within it so I decided to stick to this colour theme by cuttin up and old orange scarf I owned and wrapping it around the top. I then cut an old beadnecklace into equal strands and individually glued them to beading around the top. The large purple bead was off an old chandelier I had in my old house which had broken off. Easy! 


Flower/Bottle/Thingy (seriously guys help me think of a name):


  • Again I soaked an old beer bottle in warm water and washing up liquid.
  • The pink flower was originally a hair pin I bought for holidays a couple of years ago and haven't wore since.
  • I removed the pin from the flower and for the 'stem' I attached some faux black pearls I had from a very tangled necklace I've had for YEARS!


Et Voila!



Alice & Grace x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Made By pipdig