Saturday 19 October 2013

Diary of a Fashion Intern: Part II

This week has been ridiculously exciting. I'm all settled in, I know how to do all the basic intern requirements (returns, PR contacts, answer the phone, web links, making a cuppa etc) and this is when the exciting stuff starts. I experienced my first ever professional shoot. And yes, it was unbelievably amazing. You may have noticed Look often team up with brands to do promotional shoots & that is exactly what I was part of. New Look supplied the clothes & Look supplied the style. 


What beats a cheeky panorama shot? This is the amazing Shoreditch Studios - majorly fancy. 

Being the fashion assistant on set means getting there to meet suitcases & suitcases & suitcases (you get the idea) of clothes, shoes, accessories & pretty much everything else you can think of. Once unpacked & neatly arranged it's my job to steam the clothes & have them 100% shoot ready - this is undoubtedly where I come into my element, it has organisational freak written all over it.

Apart from that I get to shadow the stylist, who in this case was the love Lucy, & learn all her tips & tricks - it's the only way to learn in this business. Making things look chic & more expensive is what stylists are employed for. With a collaboration with the New Look team Lucy was easily able to do this & it was pretty amazing to watch develop right before my eyes. 


I was pleasantly surprised by the amazing range of jewellery New Look had to offer this season at pretty damn reasonable prices - I've taken a few pictures (above) of my favourite bits which I'll be making a cheeky investment in this weekend. 

To top off the incredible day we were supplied with a Smeg full of unlimited drinks, coffee & tea whenever we wanted as well as a lovely Greek inspired lunch followed by salted caramel brownies....all for free. Now this is my kind of working environment.


I got to meet some really talented people on the shoot; the hairdresser had worked with Miranda Kerr & apparently she's lovely! The photographer was pretty inspirational & was supported by an amazing team. They worked so well with the two models (two lovely girls from Australia & Holland) & knew exactly how to achieve the shots they wanted.

At the end of the day we had a beautiful two page spread (TPS in the industry lingo - took me a while to understand...) which will be out in a few weeks. I would seriously recommend trying out a shoot if you're not sure where you're heading in the industry - it's really helped me in getting some direction & being able to talk to these experienced, talented people who have already made it is truly invaluable. 

lots of love,

Kathy x





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Made By pipdig