Friday 25 October 2013

Diary of a Fashion Intern: Part III

As my third week comes to an end I've started to realise something: you need to really want this if you aspire to make it in this industry. I'm tired, I'm sick of returning clothes & I'm sick of soup but I've also had one of the best weeks of my life. Another week, another photo shoot. This time it was hands on & I really had to pull my weight.

While I don't think I've ever been happier it's a Friday (yes, I have had Katy Perry stuck in my head all day) I've learnt a lot this week. I think the more the fashion team & stylists get to know you the more they're going to trust you with the more challenging jobs. I was admittedly told by one of the lovely stylists, Chloe, 'It's hard to shine while you're stuck in the fashion cupboard' (to be honest it's hard to do anything in the fashion cupboard it's so full). But on a more positive note interning is the way you make contacts and network - the important thing when it comes to journalism. In the past three weeks I've managed to pick up five numbers from the Look team - & one of the stylists (Lucy, who I went on my New Look shoot with) is moving to Stylist Magazine which means if I ever find myself there I already have a contact. See how this is starting to work? The best advice they've given me is even if it's just a week or two snap up any interning or work experience you're offered - you don't want to be that girl who turned them down (yep, it's pretty cut throat).

Don't get me wrong, this isn't my attempt to put anyone off achieving their dreams & eliminate some of the masses of competition (joke serious) but this is the kind of invaluable tips & tricks the text books won't tell you. If you really have your heart set on a career in the fashion journalism industry my best advice (after pestering the life out of anyone in the office who will answer my questions) is: have a thick skin, people can be mean (especially girls) but don't take everything personally & most importantly be persistent - if you don't get a reply from your first application don't freak out, people are busy & easily forget to reply to e-mails...send it again!



Top: Amazing view from this week's shoot in Shoreditch
 Bottom Left: Working with this view isn't too bad I guess...
Bottom Right: A surprise parcel from my best friend Georgie - a framed copy of the first ever magazine I've worked on (there were a few tears)

Kathy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Made By pipdig